Across from the BBI Shopping Center is Sarajevo’s Great Park, the largest green space in the city center. The park was initially a cemetery until the arrival of Austro-Hungarians and the subsequent ban on burials in the city center. However, today the park contains two reminders of the recent war: a small cemetery for members of the Police Force who were killed and a memorial for all the children who lost their lives in the besieged Sarajevo.
The Great Park borders with Džidžikovac on the top and Titova Street on the bottom. On the right side is Mejtaš neighborhood, and to the left is Koševo Street, which apart from the central city streets, is one of the busiest and most eventful streets in Sarajevo.
Walking along Koševo Street, you can experience Sarajevo outside tourist locations. On your way, make sure you try authentic Sarajevo pies at Buregdžinica Dervoz, or organic products at the deli Špajz (The Pantry). On the left side of the road is the cult Sarajevo’s Second Gymnasium surrounded by its large park. The school was founded in 1905, and in addition to numerous prominent personalities who attended, it is famous for winning 20 Olympic medals in the fields of physics, mathematics and computer science.
At the end of the park, Koševo Street forks into three roads: Alipašina (Ali Pasha’s), Patriotske lige (Patriotic League) and Bolnička (Hospital Road). Walking down the right side of Alipašina Street, you will reach Ciglane (Brickyard) neighborhood. The first brickyard with manual production and capacity of up to 2 million bricks was built in 1879 in Koševo (the site of today’s Ciglane neighborhood) by August Braun, constructor of Marijin dvor, while modern Ciglane neighborhood was built in the eighties. It was considered one of the best and most elite parts of the city, with many green spaces and playgrounds. Unfortunately, today it doesn’t look as attractive as it did thirty years ago. However, like all Sarajevo neighborhoods, it has its own story.
Partiotske lige Street leads to Koševo Sports Complex.
Koševo Stadium, a monumental sports facility in Koševo neighborhood was built in 1948 and designed by Anatoly Kiryakov. Koševo Stadium is where the 14th Olympic Games were officially opened on 8 February 1984. The stadium was badly damaged during the war between 1992 and 1995, but was completely rebuilt after the war. The capacity of the stadium is 37,500 seats and it is the largest stadium in the country. It is the home stadium of FK Sarajevo (FC Sarajevo), one of two local premier league clubs. A derby match between local clubs Sarajevo and Željezničar is always a special event in the life of the city. Koševo stadium is named Asim Ferhatović Hase, in recognition of one of the best BiH athlets.
In 1982 a large sports hall Zetra was completed within the Koševo sports complex. It was conceptualized by Lidumil Alifakić and Dušan Đapo. During the XIV Olympic Games competitions in figure skating, speed skating and ice hockey were held in Zetra and surrounding sports facilities. In addition, Zetra was the venue for the closing ceremony of “the best organized Winter Olympic Games to date”, Sarajevo 84. At the beginning of the Aggression on BiH, after a particularly heavy shelling, Zetra was burned down to the ground. After the war, it was fully restored by the International Olympic Committee and now it is once again, one of the most important centers of sporting, entertainment and cultural events in the city. In addition to the multipurpose hall, the sports complex includes a speed-skating track, tennis courts and a bowling alley.
Not far from Zetra, in the village of Jezero (The Lake), set in beautiful natural surroundings is Pionirska dolina (Pioneer’s Valley), which includes a zoo containing several dozen of various wild animals as well as the amusement park for children.
Bolnička (Hospital) Street, as the name implies, connects the city with the Clinical Center. The Center has its roots in the first hospital institution established in Sarajevo in 1894 by Topal Osman Paša and funded by Gazi Husref Beg Vakuf. The current location of most of the facilities belonging to the Clinical Center of the University of Sarajevo was founded in 1894 when former Zemaljska Bolnica (Provincial Hospital) was established. From the start, it had electricity supply, running water and 238 beds. It was refurbished between 1897 and 1901 and the capacity was increased to 335 beds. Construction of new departments continued until the beginning of World War II, by which time the capacity reached 569 beds and several new specialist departments.
Since that time, Clinical Center, like similar institutions across the world continued to develop steadily, while applying latest methods, education and scientific research at the level of multidisciplinary clinical institutions.
During the aggression against Bosnia and Herzegovina and the siege of Sarajevo, the Clinical Center was shelled daily, regardless of its purpose and the commonly known fact that it was a medical institution. The shelling completely destroyed Gynecology, Obstetrics and Pediatrics Clinics with their supporting facilities, and in total, the Clinical Center Koševo was targeted by over 350 grenades and other explosive devices.
Clinical Center of the University of Sarajevo today represents the largest and most significant medical institution in Bosnia and Herzegovina.