Zmaja od Bosne 3
The largest and most significant museum institution in Bosnia and Herzegovina is the National Museum, emerged from the initial Museum Association of BiH. In 1888, it was awarded a status of a national institution.
The museum complex comprises four pavilions connected by an access terrace, and a centrally-placed botanical garden. It was designed by architect Karlo Paržik, with features of the neo-Renaissance style on the building. Particular attention was paid to the ethnographic department where the staircase was designed by architect Josip Pospišil, while the interior decoration on the first floor is credited to Ćiro Truhelka. Construction of the complex lasted from 1909 to 1913.
Today, the Museum hosts an archaeological, ethnological, natural sciences department and a museum library.
Botanical Garden of the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina
The only garden and a monument of this kind in Sarajevo was founded in 1913 by prominent botanist Karlo Maly. It is located within the complex of the National Museum.
More than 2000 plant species are grown on the surface of 14,000 square meters. The garden contains valuable collections of endemic species, tertiary relics and native floristic rarities. Japanese cherry (Prunus serrulata), Sequoia, and Gingko biloba are all on display in one spot. A fountain in the central part of the garden surrounded by lush vegetation adds to the sense of a true romantic park.